> > Tell us more about your topology.  What machines are the clients coming in
> > from?  Is this just a simple case of blocking POP3 from external access?
>
> Right now, our users can only connect to our pop server from within our
> protected net (we do have dialup to there but that's beside the point); once
> upon a time (after we got our T1, but before the firewall), a few of them
> figured out that they could connect to the internet through their personal
> ISP's, point their Netscape client or whatever at our pop server, and get
> their work mail that way.  But now our pop server is behind a firewall on a
> masqued subnet; its ip address is 192.168.1.25, therefore non-routable.  The
> publicly-listed mail destination for our domain is just a qmail router on the
> firewall which hands off mail to our internal server.

I think the Proxy-Arp mini-howto will help you here.  Basically your
exterior box answers requests for the mail server, and returns responses.

> > Have you considered using ssh into the box?
>
> Where can I get some no-bs info on ssh?  The last time I looked (not too
> recently), I couldn't even get a decent grip on what it is, let alone how to
> set it up.  Isn't it some sort of telnet proxy?

No, it stands for Secure Shell.  It uses PGP-like encryption (called
public key) to do host and user authentication, as well as encrypt the
data that travels thru the link.

You can find more information at:

http://www.tac.nyc.ny.us/~kim/ssh/

There are also a few other things you should check for more information:

conversation about Linux, as well as some really knowledgable people.

- The NAT implementation for Linux, which is N->M translation, instead of
N->1 like i with ipmasq

- The [EMAIL PROTECTED] list, which has some great people, most
notably Glynn Clements, which has helped people with this problem before..

Dave