I am new to the Linux operating system, and apologize in advance for my
lack of knowledge on the subject:  one reason why I subscribed to this
list.
I am currently running windows 95, and am interested in switching over
to Linux, or having Linux reside on a second hard drive on my computer.
I am planning to install Linux through DOS.  (1) I have read that the
install procedure for Linux is, to say the least, difficult, or in some
cases, "scary."  What sort of hardware information must I have available
during the process?  After I have Linux successfully installed, how do I
configure it?  I have heard about "xwindows."  May I ask, what exactly
is xwindows, and what is it used for?  (2)  Does Linux support an ATI
MACH64 graphics card, with 2 megs of video RAM?  (I am planning to
upgrade the amount of video RAM).   My computer is an IBM Aptiva , 233
Pentium II, 64 megs of RAM.  Also, what brand of modem is best suited to
the Linux platform?  I realize that a winmodem will not work (they do
not work well under windows either  ;-)  )  I am planning to purchase a
Hayes, or perhaps a Supra....
I will appreciate any help that is available.  Thank You!