> hi David
>
> there is no ip_forward file/pointer there.

Actually, just as I sent this I realized that the kernel that came with 4.1
didn't have this implemented yet.  You really should upgrade to at least 2.0.32,
for security reasons if no other..

> However, its in the kernel, :
>
> [root@gateway /root]# cat /proc/ksyms | grep ip_forward
> 00147c40 ip_forward_Rb2273aca
>
> If I do this:
>
> [root@gateway net]# cat /proc/net/ip_forward
> IP firewall forward rules, default 0

This basically tells you that the firewall is not forwarding packets, which is
different from the kernel doing the forwarding.

> There is all the routing info below the IP Firewall line - but security...
>
> Why does it not all of a sudden forward?

You don't have any outbound or inbound rules restricting this, do you?

> This is running 4.1 redhat as we had the same problem with 5.0  (REd Hat Inc.
> is looking into this as I know a few people have had problems with 5.0 after
> upgrading glibc libraries (we think)).
>
> What could have changed or does the above indicate that IP forwarding is
> infact
> off (note the default 0)

Which kernel are you using?  I'd find it hard to believe that a glibc upgrade
did this.  You could always explicitly compile forwarding support into the
kernel...

And your sure its not a routing problem?

Dave