On 28-May-98 James Michael Keller wrote:
> I'm looking for a decent IDE for X that can at the very least give

        <snip>

> What I'm using now is multiple xterm windows so I can atleast edit an
> object's codefile and look at the header, and run make in another
> window, then move over a screen and run the app.  I'd like something
> that I can atleast update code, hit run - and it's going to run make

        That really doesn't sound like a pleasant way to code :)

        <snip some more>
> -
> then bring up the app in an xterm for me.  That would be perfect.  If
> it
> can do all the new swanky stuff like trace into code, front end a
> debuger, and organize object's I'd be rather impressed.

        I'll step into my flame proof suit before I say this, and hope
that I don't start a holy war, but I think that GNU Emacs is the tool
you are looking for.  Some people prefer XEmacs, but I personnally
prefer GNU Emacs.  It should do everything you are looking for and
more, but it does take a little bit of time to get used to.

        RH

The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and
to watch someone else doing it wrong, without commenting.
        -T.H. White

Get my PGP public key at:
        http://www.netspace.net.au/~wbdhruss/pubkey.txt