On Sun, 31 May 1998, Michael J. McGillick wrote:

> I just downloaded 5.1 and installed it with no problem.  I went to
> recompile my kernel, because I need to set up IP Masquerading for my
> Windows 95 Box (blush).  I followed all of the same steps as I had it set

RedHat compiled in forwarding and masquerade support I believe beginning
in 5.0.  No recompiling is necessary. You simply need to do two things:

1) turn on IP Forwarding.  Several means (via config-tools, editing the
network scripts, or cat'ing a 1 to the file in/proc.  Easiest (for me) was

        vi /etc/sysconfig/network

and change the line "FORWARD_IPV4=yes"  ("no" is the installation
default).

2) apply some suitable rules for ipfwadm for firewalling.  I believe there
are some good examples in the HOW Tos and on the Red Hat web site.  A
simple pair of rules that should get you started might be:

ipfwadm -F -p deny
ipfwadm -F -a m -S 10.0.0.0/8 -D 0.0.0.0/0

This sets things up for a masqueraded network using the "Class A" 10.x.x.x
IP address block.

You'll need to do (1) and (2) as root.  I'd put (2) into the tail of your
ppp up scripts or run from rc.local.

I'm sure the rest of the list will chime in with improvements and
suggestions of their own.

Good luck.

Steve