On Fri, 29 May 1998, Joe Harrington wrote:

> I contend that all external root accesses are serious, because of how

Perhaps so.

Upon reflection, does named really need to run as root?  Yes, it needs to
bind the port, but other than that, what does it need root for?  It
doesn't write any files that I can think of right off hand, doesn't do any
privileged system calls or anything, certainly doesn't need to perform
tasks on behalf of other users, and it seems to me that it might as well
give up root after it's got its port assigned.