On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Christopher Gorski wrote:

Most folks I know don't use the RPMs to do Java.  Java simply changes
faster than the RPMs and sometimes it's useful to jump back to an earlier
version (your convinced that the problem must be a bug in your newer one).
But the system is the same.  I don't know a way to make RPM allow multiple
versions coexist.

In all cases, You have to set your classpath.  Do an "rpm -qil java |
grep classes" to see if the jdk is on your system and find out where the
classes.zip file is stored.  Set your classpath to
"<directory>/classes.zip".  This can be done for an individual user in his
.bashrc file or system wide in your /etc/profile file.

If you do a non RPM install, I untar  java  stuff in /usr/opt/, then just
create a sym link.  Example: "ln -s /usr/opt/jdk1.1.5 /usr/opt/java" and
set classpath to "/usr/opt/java/lib/classes.zip".  This allows you to
move back and forth to versions if you  have problems by simply
recreating the "java" link in /usr/opt.

Also, if your not doing RPM, be careful to include /usr/opt/java/bin in
your path so you get the correct  executables and BE SURE to use rpm to
remove any rpm based java.  Do a "which javac" etc. to make sure you are
using the correct java executables in /usr/opt/java/bin, and not the ones
installed by rpm previously. This is a source of many headaches!

I think you'll find this is the way to go.

Hope this helps.

> Does anyone know where I can find the software to compile and/or run Java
> code for RH5.1?  And if so, is there an RPM?
>
> I typed "javac" at the prompt after a full install, but only got a
> "CLASSPATH not specified" error.
>
> Thanks,
> Christopher Gorski
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                  (  @ @  )
Red Hat Linux!   Where I really went today!
Please send personal replies to: