You write:

We have a small network connected to the Internet via fractional T1.
We'd like to start collecting information about our bandwidth usage, but
our ISP will only provide us with those statistics for a fee.

Here's a sketch of our layout:

(internet)

CSU/DSU

Cisco router

----------Public, unprotected net--------
| Four different machines                |
|                (all Linux boxen)       |

(internal net)

Are there tools for doing this sort of thing?  Some sort of perversion
on tcpdump maybe?

Have you tried using snmp from Linux to the Cisco router?  You'll have
to do some script development, but that's the fun of linux, neh?

maureen lecuona