Matt Housh wrote:

> Hey guys, I tried to respond to this, but the redhat list has been
> eating my mail lately. Hope this one gets thru. Anyway, I have the
same
It made the list this time...

>problem with our Dell P2/400s here. The guy I talked to at Dell tech
>support said that one of the two BIOS fixed available for my machine
>would fix it, but I haven't shut down the machine to apply it yet. If
>you go to Dell's web site, click the support icon, then click the
>troubleshooting one, you should get to the service tag entry form.
Enter
>your service tag number (on the back of the box), and then go to the
>software section. There should be some BIOS updates there that,
>according to tech support, do the trick...

I'll go to the site this PM and get it.... Thanks.  I'll try it tomorrow
and
get back to you with the results....

OFF TOPIC:  BTW, if you run the NT that came with it per the Bill Tax,
BE SURE to get the updated sound drivers.  I inserted
a PnP SoundBlaster (as a second sound card) and OSS moved around
my PnP devices.  I could no longer boot NT, even when I removed the
new sound card.  I could not get NT to start with the repair disk, nor
with
the initial install disk.  I eventually had to re-load NT.  Makes me
love
Linux more and more each day....  (This was NT 4.0, SP 3 -- the same
version I can blue screen by clicking on a directory on a RockRidge/ISO
CD-R
that I burned on an old version of XCDROAST.  I can also blue screen it
every few days when Dell DMI checks for my parallel port ZIP but no
disk is in the drive).

>Matt Nelson wrote:
>
> On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, W. Wade, Hampton wrote:
>
> > I posted this last week with no responses....  Has anyone seen
> > spurious ` characters when you begin to type?  I have this happening

> > on 3 Dell Workstation 400 PII/300 systems with RH 5.0 and 5.1.  This

> > does not happen on my laptop which has RH 5.0.
>
> YES!  i've seen the same thing ever since i installed RH on my Dell
> XPS-D300 (i think this machine started out on RH5.0; maybe not, coulda

> been 4.2 - it showed up right about the time 5.0 hit the streets...)
> damn annoying, those `'s.  i just figured that the (keyboard | power
> supply | keyboard controller) was flakey.  now i see that somebody
else is
> seeing this same problem.
>
> hmmm.
>
> sorry, i haven't figured out a solution.
>
> -matt

> Matthew Nelson
> Dynamics Technology, Inc.
> 21311 Hawthorne Blvd., Suite 300, Torrance, CA 90503-5610
> Voice: (310) 543-5433   FAX: (310) 543-2117   Email:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> --

W. Wade, Hampton

Use Linux -- stability, performance, compatibility, flexibility,
scalability, and FREE!  Support Sun and the U.S. Government!