I was browsing today and ran into a problem with Netscape
Communicator that I have seen many times, that is, when
either stopping the loading of a some pages or trying to
becomes a blank window.  I waited a nice long time because
I have found that often, after a good long time, netscape
will refresh and then continue working.  This time it did
not.  So, I tried to kill it first by clicking on the X
at the top right (using fvwm2 with the Win95-style).  Nothing.
So then I opened the menu, selected "Window Operations" and
then "Kill" and killed netscape THAT way...or so I thought.

The window vanished as if it had been killed but when I
started top and looked, not only was my netscape session
still listed (and NOT as a zombie), but my wife's netscape
session which I watched her kill by her clicking on the top
right X as well.

I then attempted to kill my netscape session with "kill <pid>"
but it did not die.  I logged in as su and tried again to kill
my netscape as well as my wife's.  No go.  I exited and logged
in as root and tried to kill both netscapes.  It did not work.
I was able to kill several other apps without problem but I
simply could not kill either netscape...and top indicated that
both were consuming around 45% of my CPU each.

Is there some fix for this?  Or is it a nice feature of netscape
that not only makes it consume massive system resources, but
also be unkillable and, sometimes, go blank during normal use,
becoming unusable for overly long periods of time as described
above (and in a previous post)?

patrick