On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, E Kelly Bond wrote:

> Has anyone tried setting a quota restriction on /var/spool/mail

Yes, we have it running. It works well.

> I am concerned what mail & sendmail will do if/when quota says
> that the restriction has been reached.

If I recall, sendmail bouces with a surprising sensible and accurate
message. qmail also bounces, with something along the lines of "error
writing user's mailbox".

> How will the customer find out that their box is full?  Will
> mail start bouncing?  You obviously can't send them a email
> message to tell them... their box is already full.

Mail bounces.

Another way to solve the problem is to have mail delivered to home
directories, and let their "normal" quota take care of the problem. Some
mail deliverers like to deliver to ~/Mailbox as default, like qmail for
example.

Chris