Hi all,

I have recently bought a new mouse after my old one broke, and I decided
to treat myself to a proper Microsoft Mouse that everyone seems to rave
about these days. However, after plugging it in, my machine will no
longer recognise the mouses presence. If I plug in my old mouse first on
bootup, and then plug in the new mouse, the new mouse works fine, but
this is a real hassle, and surely not a good solution! I've read the
FAQ, but this gives no clues, stating as it does that MS Mice are
supported in my version (4.2) (and its a normal serial mouse, not the
Intellimouse with the wheel which is unsupported). I've tried various
other methods suggested as possible solutions to mice problems,
including linking /dev/mouse to /dev/ttyS0 or to /dev/cua0, holding down
the mouse button on bootup, and disabling COM3, all to no avail. The
shop I bought the mouse from refuses to change it, saying it works fine
on their system.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received - I don't want to have to
be another mouse just yet!

Thanks,

        Dan Towner.

Dan Towner