If its not being written in your system logs, try adding the line:
to your chat script, something like:

REPORT CONNECT
ABORT BUSY ABORT VOICE ABORT 'NO CARRIER' '' ATZ OK ATD

vs> I asked this before when I was at Redhat 4.2 and was told that the
vs> connect speed gets written to the system logs when a connection is
vs> establised.  (At least that's what I think was said.)  On my newly
vs> upgraded 5.0 system, this doesn't seem to be happening.  Can someone
vs> tell me how to determine the speed at which my modem is connecting?
vs> Thanks.

--
Curtis Consulting
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]