On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Blake Thornton wrote:

> Keith:
> ppp wont work unless i'm root.  in my ppp scripts i have the following:
>
> ppp-on: exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug lock modem crtsct /dev/modem115200 \
>       asyncmap 20A0000 escape FF kdebug ... more stuff
> ppp-on-dialer: exec chat -v (then the TIMEOUT, etc...)
>

> when i run ppp as non root i get the messege in var/log/messages:
> pppd[3727]: pppd 2.3.3 started by blake, uid 500
> pppd[3727]: Connect script failed
> pppd[3727]: Exit

Arg, your syslog does not seem to be set up to log these debug messages.

> I upgraded my ppp to 2.3.3 because someone told me that would
> be a good idea.  I am running pppd with the debug options but dont know
> why it wont start as non user.

No, bad idea, unless you also installed the kernel patches and rebuilt
your kernel. The user level program (pppd) version works with, and must
match, the PPP parts that are in the kernel. If you did recompile your
kernel then that's fine. However, if you're using the "stock" kernel and
just using the 2.3 pppd then that won't work. The "stock" 2.0.x kernel has
PPP 2.2 in it.

PPP 2.3 also handles running as non-root differently. Read the docs.  Some
options are now considered privileged, and won't be accepted by pppd even
if it's SUID to root. You must have "peer" options located in the
/etc/ppp/peers directory.  Therefore, pppd 2.3 will probably break a lot
of these ppp-up scripts.

I am using PPP 2.3.3 now on my system. You don't really need a ppp-up
script at all. Just set up your option files properly and invoke pppd as:
'pppd call myisp' (you need an /etc/ppp/peers/myisp option file).

HTH,

Keith Dart, Devtest Engineer                   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cisco Systems                                    phone: +1.408.527.1391
Network to User Business Unit                    pager: +1.800.365.4578
internal web page: <http://kdart-pc2.cisco.com>    fax: +1.408.527.3778