On Thu, Mar 12, 1998 at 04:05:32PM +0100, LEBLIN JY wrote:
> Hi,
> I've just tried to install RH 5 on a 486 DX2 66 ( a bit optimistic ),
> everything was ok even for LILO setup but when i tried to reboot i just got
> a "LI" and nothing else.
> I've tried to setup once more -> the same. I made a fdisk /mbr and one more
> setup, idem.
> I've first tried to put LILO in the mbr, then as RH5 as the option to
> install LILO in the first sector ( not sure for the english word ) of
> /dev/hda3 which is the partition i've installed linux to, i've tried that
> too, but i don't know how to start linux.
> As i've got a dos partition too, maybe i can try to use loadlin but i don't
> really know how to proceed.
>    Thanks
>      JY

        I'm guessing that /dev/hda3 is the / partition (or at least contains
/boot ) and starts at a cylinder greater than 1024.  In that case, LILO
won't be able to boot an image on this partition, so loadlin is probably
your best bet.  Get yourself to a real DOS command prompt (not a windows
DOS box) and then "cd d:\dosutils" and
"loadlin autoboot\vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3" where d: is the location of your
RH CD.

                                        Greg Whittier