Hi,

We're running RedHat 4.2 with all updates, and have discovered that if a
user "kill -9"'s his login process at the console, then that console tty,
eg. tty1, is left in an ususeable state at the login screen. It appears
the ICANON flag is left in a broken state.

Effects of this on non-console tty's have not been investigated.

It is upsetting a user could maliciously break all the console tty's like
this. Luckily it is fixable with a simple tcsetattr() call root can run,
but it is inconvenient and no doubt infuriating for people without the
know how to do this.

Maybe a solution would be to get mingetty to reset login lines a little
more thoroughly.

Another nasty bug while I'm at it, I accidentally logged in using my
password as username today. Easily done. Imagine my horror when I
eventually logged in properly to see a process from "ps x" looking like

chris  3642    login -- <my password>

Argh! A nasty buglet whereby the first thing typed in at the login prompt
is retained as an arguement to "login" rather than the eventual successful
login name appearing.

Are either of these fixed in 5.0? I'm still at 4.2, I distrust 5.0 yet
still :) Particularly on the alpha -- RHL5.0 alpha didn't compile simple
c++ successfully.

Chris