Mario de Mello Bittencourt Neto wrote:

>   I was using rh 4.2 but decided to upgrade to 5.0.
>
>   The instalation was ok except by the fact that I can not make X work
> with 800x600 ou 1024x768.
>
>   It was working with those resolutions (and 16 bpp) in 4.2 and even tough
> I give the same settings it only starts with 640x480...
>

>   Does anybody have any ideia, besides replacing the hw ? :)

Not clear from what you wrote if you did a complete upgrade (by running
install and selecting upgrade) or package upgrade (one rpm at a time) so
can't be sure if this will help at all.

I did a complete upgrade (started by running autoboot) and let it
upgrade everything once. Afterward I reran Xconfigurator and it set me
up better than I was able to get before upgrade.

I use a laptop so the hardware is different. But, before upgrading the
best res I could get was 800x600, and I had to set that manuallly and
lie about what my hardware was. After upgrading, Xconfigurator found a
1024x768 mode (16 bpp) that I couldn't get working before. And, that was
by telling it exactly what hardware I was using (actually, it found the
setup itself and presented it to me).

So, I guess the question is, have you tried using Xconfigurator again to
see if that helps? Have you upgraded everything X?