Here's a pretty mess:

When I try to su, I get the message:
        su: can't load library libdl.so.1
I get the same error from login, and other places.

Sure enough, in directory /lib, libdl.so.1 is a link to libdl.so.1.7.14.
And libdl.so.1.7.14 is not there anymore.

This happened after I used rpm to upgrade ld.so. I used ld.so-1.9.6-1rh42.rpm.
It seems that rpm removed libdl.so.1.7.14, added libdl.so.1.9.6, made
libdl.so into
a link to the new library libdl.so.1.9.6. But it didn't change the link from
libdl.so.1. That link now points to a file which is gone. (This looks like
an error
in the rpm, but maybe not.)

I could try to fix it, but I don't have permission, since I cannot be root.

So, how do I get out of this mess? I have not rebooted yet. I expect that if
I reboot,
I won't be able to log in at all.

This is a stand-alone 4.2 computer. Any ideas?

        Dave Morrison