Here's the picture:

I dialup my ISP (using Ezppp but, happens the same no matter what dialin
method I use). I connect, open Netscape, the connection dies, I redial,
NS pops up, the connection establishes, I try to open something in NS
and it doesn't seem able to connect to the net (I presume because it
didn't have one to make when it finally opened). I kill NS, the
connection dies, I redial, I run NS, the connection gets made, NS shows
up (usually just as the connection dies again), I redial and make
connection, try to open a site with NS and it can't make one (same
presumption), the connection dies, and on and on and on and on.

I can dialin, do something netish in a shell (like open an FTP site or
something), then open NS and everything works. Connection stays up, NS
can get things, etc.

This is with 5.0 but, it also happened with 4.2 several times. It seems
to be getting worse as time goes on as it didn't do it at all when I
first started running Linux and dialing in (not stale or corrupt files
since I've reinstalled gazillions of times, as recently as 3 times
yesterday). It's to the point that it happens most of the time now.

It seems the ISP accepts everything from me and dies when it doesn't get
some sort of other input or activity. But, I can do FTP, ping, whois or
whatever from a shell and everything is kosher from that point on.

The same happens whether I use EZppp or the Net thing in Control Panel.
I've tried using dialin script but, had severe problems getting it to
work right using chap.

Any ideas of how I can get the connection to stay up long enough to get
NS going?

--
We all be gwine upta hebbin!