> >After issue the p command, the following appears:
> >
> >Disk /tmp/hda: 64 heads, 63 sectors, 1023 cylinders
> >Units=cylinders of 4032*512 bytes
> >
> >Device Boot  Boot    Begin   Start   End     Blocks   Id     System
> >/tmp/hda1     *          1       1   675    1038208+   6     DOS 16-bit>=32M
> >/tmp/hda2              516     516   642     256032    5     Extended
> >/tmp/hda3              643     643   673      62496   83     Linux native
> >/tmp/hda4              674     674   689      32256   82     Linux swap
> >/tmp/hda5              516     516   642     256000+   6     DOS 16-bit>=32M
> >
> >what is wrong with that?
>
> Yep, as indicated by someone else, you have used up your primary number
> of partitions, which is four.  Fdisk has nowhere in which to add any
> partitions.  The above still looks weird, with partitions within partitions.
> The bottom one is supposed to be part of the extended, but hda3 and hda4
> just appear out of place.
>
> In any event, the only way around to problem is to rebuild all of the
> partitions from scratch.  At least that is what I would do.  Back up your
> DOS and Linux stuff and start over, planning out your disk space a little
> better.

Oops!  I'd rather not rebuild All of the partitions if it is possible. (I
have >600M stuffs in the first partition hda1).  Is it possible to remedy
the situation by deleting hda3 and hda4? If so, which device in the above
list considered to be primary partitions? (I thought the hda2 and hda5 are
the extended and logical partitions).  Moreover, what MUST be primary
partition in Linux? (I guess the root / is one of them).
If it is necessary, I can delete  hda2 and hda5 and rebuilt them.

Thanks for all help.

yours,
cwlai