Two weeks ago I was the ecstatic recipient of a brand spanking new HP
7200e PPA CD-RW.  The first thing I tried to do was try to get it to
work with both WinNT and RH5, neither of which I was successful at (I
reinstalled WinNT just for this new toy and now it works fine).

Anyways I looked at all the howtos and it still does not work.  I
recompiled my kernel for general SCSI support and tried to run xcdroast.
It didn't find anything.

Did anyone install one successfully?  If so how did you do it?  Will
running "insmod sg" do anything deleterious if I have general SCSI
support in the kernel?