I have just installed RH 5.0 and I encounter similar problem.  I
am also not able to ping a domain name.  The message says bad hostname.
This happens ONLY after I typed starx.
        I have to go to Control panel(redhat's control panel of course),
double click the networking option, select the interface then eth0, click
on the activate button.  You may want to click on the edit button to edit
the interface eth0 and check the option (allow user to disable the
interface).
        Don't know why this happens.  I can find anything about this in
redhat website.

        Another thing I notice is that if I use a serial mouse (connected
to COM1), I can't focus most of the windows properly by clicking on it.
CPU load also seems to be at high utilization.  I have to change to a ps2
mouse to get it working properly.

Goh Sek Chye
Singnet Network Operation Centre
PGP Public Key:         finger [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Key fingerprint =  55 9E FF EA 4D A7 33 25  03 00 3E BF A2 F3 AF 6A