> In the dark ages from whence I came, the serial card could buffer 16
> bytes
> and a hard drive 256 bytes.  Even with these numbers in a single-tasking
> DOS, I saw the above performance on 286's.

This reminds me. For much of the time I was using that 386SX and the
USR HST (14.4K) modem, especially for UUCP work, I didn't have one
of those fancy UARTS (mine were 16450's). On that particular 386, the
UARTs in question were soldered onto the motherboard. I later bought
a new internal modem that had the high-speed UARTs. At any rate, though,
I didn't have any transmittal difficulties using Linux.