> Big Questions:
> 1.  Why such an uproar over OS's when most problems
> are in the applications (except when NT munched
> itself one week after I took over).

But for a server platform - even an errant application SHOULD NOT BE ABLE
to crash the server.

> 2b. Do companies call Microsoft or Caldera or RedHat
> if some application misbehaves?

many times, applications are bundled as part of the OS.  If Microsoft IIS
blows up on NT - yes, you call Microsoft.  If Caldera's named blows up,
yeah - I'd call Caldera.

> 3.  Do companies have IS departments to fix problems,
> or do the IS people call Microsoft?  If a company has
> an IS department with trained professionals, why
> would the company switch from one OS (say Unix) to
> another OS (NT)?  This seems counter-productive and
> expensive to me.

Hype.  Period.  The decisions are being made more and more by untrained,
non-technical management - rather than tech staff.  This is how MS wants it
- because their ad's play up to the non-techs.

At least that is how I see it.  It is my job to educate the non-techs about
the power of things like UNIX.