In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you write:
>On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, Dave Wreski wrote:
>
>> Data/processes that is in swap and not being used will stay there until it is
>> used.  You could very well have 32M free RAM, and still be using swap.  The
>> programs will get moved back into RAM if there is free RAM available when the
>> program needs to be executed again.
>
>I would like to find out how if I can "restart" the swap space...I
>think there's deadwood in there.  But I don't know whether there's a
>utility to tell me whether any swap space currently is being wasted.
>Any ideas?

Define "wasted".  If you think there's a bug in the Linux paging code
which causes it to forget about part of the swap space then report it
(preferably with some form of supporting evidence).  Otherwise the
swap space is being used to store bits of running programs which are
not currently required.  This isn't waste - it's freeing up your RAM
for better purposes.  Why would you want to force stuff to be moved
back into RAM if it doesn't need to be?

HTH
John
--
John Winters.  Wallingford, Oxon, England.

The Linux Emporium - a source for Linux CDs in the UK
See <http://www.polo.demon.co.uk/emporium.html>