> I've tried adding the alias command to my .bashrc ... but it still no
> worky...

        [PT]  Did you use the correct syntax?  For example,
        I use the following to alias "dir" to "ls -al":

        alias dir="ls -al"

        Also, you can try putting the alias at the end of
        your .bash_profile file.

> Do I have to have a new version of redhat possibly?

        [PT]  No.  This is purely a bash issue.  It should also
        work with many different versions of bash as well.