After repartitioning one of my hard drives while very tired (one never
learns!) i managed to mess up my system a bit. Fortunatly I had back ups
of most of my config files, and all the rpms lying around. Now only one
problem remains, and I can't seem to figure it out.

The problem is sound related, and it goes like this:

When I try to start a program using sound, be it a sample-player, a mp3
player, a cd player or a mixer, the program just sits around for about
five minutes before starting. When it eventualy starts it works
fine. This only applies to programs started while in X (including text
based programs started from a xterm), and not while logged in as root.

When the program is waiting, I can watch the process using qps and it
tells me the following:

Proto   Recv-Q  Send-Q  Local Addr  Port  Remote Addr  Port    State
udp     0       0       localhost   1110  localhost    domain  ESTABLISHED
tcp     0       0       *           1200  *            0       LISTEN

When the program eventualy starts up it looks like this:

Proto   Recv-Q  Send-Q  Local Addr  Port  Remote Addr  Port    State
tcp     0       0       *           1200  *            0       LISTEN

A couple of sound programs seems imune to this behaviour. These are
x11amp and xmcd. These programs start up right away, and does not
even have the above mentioned fields in qps.

Since all the programs work while beeing root (though not while beeing
started as root from a xterm on another users X) and while on the
console (not the ones that requires X of course) I am quite sure this
has something to do with X11 ownership and permissions.

Other information:

* Running Redhat 5.0 (kernel 2.0.32) the same compile of the kernel as
  before the problems started, so I doubt the problem lies there. I have
  tried to recompile though, just to be sure. The problem remained the
  same.
* Original SoundBlaster
* XFree86 3.3.2-3 (SVGA server)
* Everything else works just fine.
* cat /dev/sndstat says like so:

--snip--
Sound Driver:3.5.4-960630
Kernel: Linux lucien 2.0.32 #11 Fri Mar 20 15:20:42 CDT 1998 i586
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
Type 2: Sound Blaster
Type 7: SB MPU-401

Card config:
Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 7 drq 1,5
(SB MPU-401 irq 1 drq 0)
OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0

Audio devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16 (4.5)

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL-3

Midi devices:

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: Sound Blaster
--snap--

Please, someone help me! :)

kjetil
--
Finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for public PGP key.