> I can't login from my local terminal. Whenever I enter any username and
> press   enter it again prompts me for login name instead of password. I
> can only have  access in single mode. Has my server been compromised or is
> there any other  problem?

your description is too vague to determine the cause of the problem.
Most likely your not compromised. changing passwords of accounts is a stupid
thing to do if you were to compromise a system as it can quickly alert to
your presence. I reccomend booting in single user mode since you say you
can login there and check the passwd/shadow files to be sure they are intact,
perhaps there is file curroption or something. did anything unusual happen
that may of caused this? system crash? some sort of upgrade/software install?
do any other people have root access? are you using network authentication
such as LDAP or NIS or NIS+ or kerberos?

also when logged in during single user mode check the logs in /var/log
for anything unusual, the messages log and the secure log is a good
place to start.

nate