On Wed, 25 Dec 2002, Michael Fratoni wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 December 2002 04:14 pm, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   ok, there's definitely something weird in the latest kernel --
> > 2.4.20-2.2 -- that affects (although not in a fatal way) which
> > config file will be used as a default if there is no current
> > config file.  (i've verified that the same problem exists
> > in earlier kernel source trees.)
>
> Duplicated using kernel-source-2.4.18-19.8.0.
>
> I never use 'make xconfig' normally, so I've never noticed before. I
> usually just copy the config file I want, and then 'make config' if I'm
> making modifications. Otherwise, I just 'make oldconfig'.
>
> For what it's worth, my normal build process is:
> make mrproper
> cp configs/kernel-2.4.18-athlon.config .config
> make oldconfig (or make config)
> make dep && make bzImage && make modules

  so, here's my take on building a new kernel, including the gotchas
that seem to exist.

  as a special case, when you're building a kernel for the very first
time:

  0) install the kernel-source RPM

   1) always, always, always run "make mrproper" to get rid of leftover
      cruft that might have been bundled into the source RPM before it was
      shipped.  (it seems that that's twice now that this has been a
      problem that's easily fixed with "make mrproper")

   2) copy the appropriate config file out of the configs/ directory
      into the .config file.  (if you're not sure which one to use,
      check the "Kernel type" line from /boot/kernel.h for a hint.)

   3) Run "make oldconfig" to configure the source tree based on this
      stock config file.

   4) Do a dummy build with

      # make dep bzImage modules

      just to ensure that the very first build works before you
      start customizing.  otherwise, you have real problems.

as we've already established, running "make xconfig" the very first time
is going to select the wrong initial config file, based on the mystery of
the conditional in "scripts/Makefile" that still puzzles me.  but, once
you have a .config file, "make xconfig" should work fine from them on.

so far, so good?  more shortly.

rday