splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

# section to load Windows 2000
title windows
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

# section to load linux
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 root=/dev/hdc1
initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18-14.img
---EOF---

Windows boots without problems. When I select Linux from the GRUB menu the boot process is started but not completed. It ends with:

..
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
pivotroot: pivot_root (/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
umount /initrd/proc failed: 2
Freeing unused kernel memory: 212 k freed
kernelpanic: No init found: Try passing inits= option to kernel

GRUB seems to find both the kernel and the initrd.

I have the following hard drives and partitions on my system:

Device Start End Size Type Mountpoint
/dev/hda
hda1 1 2097 16449 ntfs ?
hda2 2098 2480 3004 fat ?

/dev/hdc
hdc1 1 10 78 ext3 /boot hdc2 11 75 510 linux-swap
hdc3 76 784 5562 ext3 /
How can I get GRUB to load Linux?