Hi Robert,
it shouldn't make a difference whether you use label or the device name. However if in "GRUB language" hd0,7 is your boot partition then it translates into /dev/hda6 (and not /dev/hda1). Further when I used the "label-method" I got somewhat different error messages during the boot process both resulting in kernel panic.

I have just posted a problem with GRUB as well. Maybe you habe an idea!

Bye,
Oliver

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

(more fun and games from kernel land.)

i just built a new kernel, installed modules, tossed the kernel
into /boot, etc. etc -- the regular stuff. then edited /etc/grub.conf
and added a new stanza for the new kernel, almost identical to the
old stanza, but not "initrd.img" line.

the new grub.conf file, with a second vmlinuz stanza:

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
root (hd0,7)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/ hdb=ide-scsi
initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-2.2)
root (hd0,7)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-zaurus ro root=LABEL=/ hdb=ide-scsi

most of the above was just cut and paste, and the original 2.4.18-14
kernel has booted nicely all this time.

booting the new kernel failed, allegedly couldn't mount the
root FS "LABEL=/", as if it wasn't capable of translating the fact
that i was referring to /dev/hda1 by LABEL and not device name.

i rebooted and, at the grub menu, just edited that line to say
"root=/dev/hda1". no problem.

what was *that* all about? is there some kernel config option
i might have inadvertantly turned off that allows a grub line to
say "root=LABEL=/", rather than "root=/dev/hda1"?? i'm puzzled
by this one.

rday