Paul Barker wrote:
| Hi All

<snip>

| ... I've hit a spot of difficulty with my flash
| card reader.

<snip>

| And I can see a connect in dmesg :
|
|     Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
|     usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
|     scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
|     WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
|     USB Mass Storage device found at 8
|     USB Mass Storage support registered.
|
| But I can't mount the device. How do I tell which SCSI device the card
| is at ? Should there be a line in dmesg indicating where it is ?

Usually it's the next available SCSI device. I've got a USB keyring gizmo
which works similarly. On a box w/o SCSI devices, it becomes /dev/sda1
(assuming the device only has one partition). On a box with two SCSI drives,
it'd most likely become /dev/sdc, and it's partition /dev/sdc1. It basically
takes the next available SCSI device.

When I plug in my USB mass storage device, I get the following in my dmesg
buffer (note the SCSI info immediately after the mass storage line):

SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
~  Vendor: LEXAR     Model: DIGITAL FILM      Rev: /W1.
~  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 3
USB Mass Storage support registered.
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sda: Write Protect is off
~ sda: sda1

Look for something like the last 4 lines in your dmesg output. This is from
a Red Hat 8.0 box with a 2.4.18-19-athlon kernel.

Hope that helps,
- -Rick
- --
Rick Johnson, RHCE - [EMAIL PROTECTED]