I just noticed that my CD-WRITER is not working in RH-8.0,  and yet it worked
fine  in previous versions. My CD-ROM reader works fine.  But not the Writer
and yet it is mounted in the /etc/fstab file ok.
( /dev/cdrom1      /mnt/cdrom1      iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0 )

When I bring up XCDroast, I see this message :

"No CD-WRITER or CD-ROM device detected. For ATAP/IDE devices
under Linux you have to enable SCSI-Emulation in the kernel in order to
activate them. Please see the X-CDroast howto to do that."

Well - with all that being said, I first checked my kernel configuration and I
see that a module for 'ISO 9660 CD-ROM file system Support" has been compiled
in the kernel, as well as full SCSI support. So unless there is something
else in the Kernel, I have to look else where.

So, I went to the HOWTO docs for XCDroast and I see reference to the kernel
support and also a suggestion to run /sbin/insmode ide-scsi.  Well that did
nothing for me although it did load the 'kernel drivers for ide-scsi.0"

This leaves me with the question  -  where else do I look?  Or does anyone
have a  suggestion as to how to get this CD-WRITER to work?

--
T.L.Gervais
Coldbrook, NS