Hi Bret,
An alternative approach that worked for me: I've set up an Athlon-based machine (not a laptop) using the Up2date utility. I installed the standard RH CDs and then when up2date ran it automatically detected the new kernel requirements and downloaded them. The machine is running fine. Therefore, I did not need to build the RPMs.
Hope that helps.
Peter