just in case anyone else needed to know, here's the deal on
USB hotplug support and, as a bonus, talking to my sharp zaurus.

  to get USB hotplug support, i downloaded the pristine
2.4.20 kernel source, and applied the 2.4.21-pre2 patch.
voila.  USB hotplug.

  furthermore, there is a problem in plugging in a sharp
zaurus via the USB cradle to get the Z on the network.
the problem is that the CDCEther.o module gets in the way,
and demands to activate the eth1 interface for the Z,
rather than usb0 (given that i already have an eth0,
of course).

  the solution (at least for the time being), is to
add the line

CDCEther

to /etc/hotplug/blacklist, to keep that from happening
(and, of course, to "rmmod CDCEther" before trying this
again).  once that was done, USB networking to the Z worked
just fine, and i am happily ssh'ed into my Z at the moment.

rday