John Nichel's reply wound up getting spamassassin'ed, but it is
included below the SA header.

No, the internal server's IP can not be hit from outside the
network, as it is on a private network.  Private networks, of
course, are not routable :)  However, an external ping to the
internal server's domain name does return the single IP address
which serves the external webserver and which also needs to serve
the virtual domain I'm trying to get out there.

The question goes back to - how to represent an internal, private
server to the internet via its registered domain name, via an
apache webserver?