I seem to have lost my rpm database.  After upgrading a couple of rpms,
rpm would fail, telling me to run recover (whatever the hell that is -
couldn't find any reference to such a thing in the rpm man page).
Anyway, tried rpm --rebuilddb which also failed the first time, but
seemed to work the second time I ran it.  However, I then checked with
rpm -qa and there was only a single package listed.  I looked in
/var/lib and found a directory called rpmrebuilddb.1908.  I moved
/var/lib/rpm to a safe place and copied the rpmrebuilddb.1908 directory
to /var/lib/rpm.  Ran rpm --rebuilddb again.  Now I have a rpm database
with plenty 'o stuff in it, but I'm sure it's out of date.  No problem,
I think, I'll just run apt-get upgrade and bring it back into sync
(probably with some missing packages that I'll worry about later).
Unfortunately apt-get reports a bunch of unmet dependencies and refuses
to fix them (even using -f).

I'm running Redhat 8.0 with all the latest updates (except kernel, which
is of the SGI variety).

Any ideas on how to fix this mess?  Is rpm on RedHat 8.0 totally
broken?  I've had constant issues with it locking up on me or claiming
that it can't get an exclusive lock, etc.  Nothing drastic until now,
but my faith in it is severely shaken.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)