First, I have a Redhat 8.0 running fine on a PII 400 Mhz, 256 Mb, 10 Go of HD, and an
ATI Mach 64.

I'm trying to use a VGA to TV converter (Guillemot, maxi converter pro) that accept 31
to 35.5 Khz of horizontal frequency and 50 to 70 Hz vertical frequency.

I tried it under windows with 2 different machines and it worked very good even in
800x600@70 hz (37 Khz hfreq)

Unfortunatly, when I tried it with my RedHat, a strange image appeared on my TV when X
was loaded. The bios, boot and console show correctly my on TV, but not X. I tried a
lot of resolution, even by limiting X to 31.5 Khz and 60 Hz (VGA standart) with a
resolution of 640x480. But it didn't work.

How I know the tested resolution ? Well the converter is also a passthru and can
display the real VGA resolution while converting it to TV resolution. So you can have
2 screen showing the same thing: the TV and the monitor. And as my monitor can tell me
which resolution I use, I looked every time.

Moreover, I tried with other linux distrib (Vector Linux 2.5 and Peanut Linux 9.3).
And as soon as I put the correct frequency values in XF86Config, it worked very well.
So I copied the XF86Config used in both distrib and tried them with the RedHat 8.0.
But it didn't work. The resolution get changed and I could see the good resolution and
frequency on my VGA monitor, but the TV display was out of range (the TV showed a very
bad and strange image of what I saw on the VGA monitor).

So it is really a RedHat 8.0 matter, not a XFree 4 problem.

So I really need help... What the matter in the redHat 8 default config ? Where the
modelines are stored (I can't see them in XF86Config) ?