Linda,

If I remember correctly, all I had to do to a working cups installation
was to add a link:

ln -s /usr/bin/smbspool /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb

restart the cups daemon,

and specify the smb path to the windows printer
( smb://windowsBox/printerName ) in the cups add printer interface.

Regards, Mike Klinke