I just noticed that I have a /etc/php.ini.rpmnew file on my system. I assume this was created when I last upgraded PHP, which would have been whenever the most recent up2date php version was released. I ran a quick diff on /etc/php.ini and /etc/php.ini.rpmnew and the following was produced:

[root@gandalf root]# diff /etc/php.ini /etc/php.ini.rpmnew
71c71
< short_open_tag = On
---
> short_open_tag = Off
345a346
> include_path = ".:/usr/share/pear"
441d441
< ;extension=php_dbg.dll
455c455
< extension=imap.so
---
> ;extension=php_imap.dll
466d465
< extension=mysql.so
847,851d845
<
< [debugger]
< debugger.enabled = true
< deubgger.JIT_host = clienthost
< debugger.JIT_port = 7869

The first difference, "short_open_tag", is self-explanatory, though I don't know why RedHat would turn this option off. The second is the creation of a new "include_path" to include /usr/share/pear. Do I need this path in include_path? The next two differences have to do with the removal of imap.so and mysql.so from the extensions. Since I have both php-imap and php-mysql intalled, I assume I should leave this alone, and since php.ini.rpmnew doesn't have either of these two lines, even commented out, I can only assume that the RPM's for php-imap and php-mysql create them. What about the "[debugger]" section? Should I remove that from php.ini?

BTW, am I the only one who isn't a big fan on the .rpmnew method of doing things? I am all for not overwriting current config files, but couldn't this potentially prevent important configuration options from being loaded? And all without the user knowing they weren't being loaded (privilege separation on SSH comes immediately to mind).

ahp