> I have put the drive in another machine (rh8.0) and attempted to mount
> it only to get I/O errors. I have attemped to run an e2fsck on it, with
> a I/O again, tried to fix the superblock with mke2fs -B I/O again...
>
> is any of this drive likely to be recoverable?

Trial and error I'm afraid.

Run the manufacturer's diagnostics over it. If there's physical damage
there's less chance of recovery.

There are companies out there that will take it apart and grab the data
bit-by-painstaking-bit off the platters themselves but it costs lots of $$$.

I hope it was nothing important, but restoring from backup may be your best
bet.

---
Edward Dekkers (Director)
Triple D Computer Services P/L