While RedHat clearly has made an admirable effort to produce a consumer
ready desktop on the Linux OS, a few areas were shortchanged by the new
release.  Video and sound installation work well on older, well known
system boards and plugin cards.  But, some later hardware has been left
dangling, so to speak, and the tools that otherwise might have been used
by experience RedHat users to attemp to correct video/sound problems,
such as Xconfigurator, are nowhere to be found.

Web searches have revealed a number of workarounds that some people have
been able to make work with a new RedHat 8.0 installation.  But many
non-successes have been repoted also.  The best advice I can provide,
for the black screen issue you describe is to install an older version
of RedHat, say 7.3 and then upgrade it to RH 8 to pick up the new
features.  This is clearly not an ideal solution, and undermines
RedHat's goal of dumbing down the desktop for neophyte users, but it
will probably get you operational.

Tom