Hi everyone:

I am trying to get TeX to work with simplified Chinese characters.

The Chinese HOWTO on the web says that I should set the $TEXMF environment variable to something like /usr/lib/texmf. I have created this subdirectory and environment variable.

But when I try to use TeX after modifying my profile, it says, "I can't find the format file `tex.fmt."

So I take the TEXMF environment variable out of profile, and now TeX works normally. I was assuming there the TEXMF environment variable was set somewhere else during bootup but when I type $TEXMF at the command prompt I get nothing. So now I assume that if the TEXMF variable is not externally set there is a default subdirectory that is internal to TeX.

So I have a number of questions:

1) How do I find out what the default is?
2) How do I find out which metafonts were automatically installed on my computer.
3) I installed a number of fonts -- Korean, Japanese, Russian and a few types of Chinese -- when I set up my version of Linux. In a perfect world, I would be able to use these fonts with TeX, perhaps with some modifications to TeX. Am I dreaming, or are the fonts I installed at installation which work perfectly on my display incompatible for printing?

Many thanks.

Tony Caskey