Hi folks,

If, like me, you have been having installation hangs with your Linux distro
(various flavours) and you have a weird (ie. more than one CD-ROM / CD-RW)
hardware setup, then I may just have the answer. (If this has been posted
before, or is old news, I'm sorry, but I have been banging my head against a
brick wall over this for nearly 3 months with RH MDK and Deb).

A quick synopsis of my installation is:

Gigabyte GA7-IXE4 HDD (BIOS rev f9)
1.1GHz Athlon (200MHz FSB)
256 Mb PC100 DIMMs
GeForce4MX420
SoundBlaster PCI 128
HCF Modem
USB 2.0 4 port PCI card
Maxtor 30GB HDD (Not sure of model but with 4Gb WinME partition and 2x10GB
FAT32 partitions and a 6GB(ish) Linux partition) as Primary IDE master
Samsung SB208B 8x4x32 CD/RW as Primary Slave
Creative 50x CD-ROM as Secondary Slave.

This setup caused me no end of problems. It was a system given to me by my
father in law when he got a P4(spit) system (nice of him). The CDrw is the
primary slave because whoever built the system didn't think that the IDE
cables wouldn't be long enough to reach from the HDD to the CD-ROM, so they
put the CD/RW in as the Primary slave. (Dumb!)

Anyway, I was getting hanging problems when I tried to boot from CD (it was
only looking at the Primary Channel), so, in a fit of frustration, and as a
last resort, I disconnected my primary slave (CD writer) and changed the
primary slave in the BIOS to read "Not Installed". This forced the BIOS to
look for a different CDROM and it found the secondary slave. I had a
wonderfully fulfilling 30 minutes watching Red Hat install with no hitches
at all.

Sorry about the long post (I'll probably be asking numerous silly questions
from now on), but this problem was bugging me so much I almost gave up on
the idea of ever installing Linux. I just thought that I would pass on my
experience, and my solution, just in case anyone else was having this
problem.

Sorry if I've just reinvented the wheel.

Andy

Andrew Cannon, Nuclear Technology (J2), NNC Ltd, Booths Hall, Knutsford,
Cheshire, WA16 8QZ.

Telephone; +44 (0) 1565 843768
email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
NNC website: http://www.nnc.co.uk

 NNC Limited
 Booths Hall
 Chelford Road
 Knutsford
 Cheshire
 WA16 8QZ

 Country of Registration: United Kingdom
 Registered Number: 1120437

 are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify
 the NNC system manager by e-mail at [EMAIL PROTECTED]