In theory, if the /usr and /var partitions were right next to each other on the hard drive, you could use a tool like partition magic to shrink down the one, and then enlarge the other, but in my opinion, the risk of data loss is much too high. Besides, you could move the Apache and MySQL stuff without having to take the server down. There may be minor disruption this way, but executed properly, that disruption could be a matter of a minute or less.

I could probably provide detailed instructions on how to accomplish this, if need be.

Shannon Neumann
Neumannweb Computers
www.neumannweb.net

Andy Kirk wrote:

I am running RH8, and have realised that my /usr partition is much too
large, and my /var partition is much too small.

Is there any way to resize these partitions without effecting the
installation at all. I can not afford to reinstall.

The other option would be to move my Apache Web Space and MySQL databases to
/usr, and migrate the data in both to the new directory structure.

Which of the above methods would be the easiest, quickest and safest, and
where would I go for information to perform the required tasks.

Regards