I have a drive that is consistently giving me file system errors. This drive holds a very large number of files, very active files. It's a backup, and cache drive for a web application, so several GB of data gets transferred to and from it every night. Now, the drive's SMART capability has not reported any errors what so ever with the physical drive, yet I keep getting FS errors. Cross links, duplicate blocks, bad i_nodes, bad i_blocks, illegal blocks, wrong dtime, just to mention a few.

Should I trust the drive's SMART system and assume the drive itself it fine and may just need the FS recreated (deleting the partition and then recreating it and rebuilding the FS), or should I consider pitching the drive and just get a new one?

--
W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> . 303.442.6410 x130