Did you set up the users in the user table to access from remote hosts?

Try this when logged in on the local host, then restart MySQL....

INSERT INTO `mysql.user` (`Host`, `User`, `Password`, `Select_priv`, `Insert_priv`, `Update_priv`, `Delete_priv`, `Create_priv`, `Drop_priv`, `Reload_priv`, `Shutdown_priv`, `Process_priv`, `File_priv`, `Grant_priv`, `References_priv`, `Index_priv`, `Alter_priv`) VALUES ('%', 'user_to_have_outside_access', PASSWORD('your_password'), 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y', 'Y');

Terry Hobart wrote:
I have an RH 8 stock installation (meaning I have not yet updated it
from rhn). I had it install MySQL from the disks. I cannot however
access it from outside the localhost box.

I can always access it from inside the box.
    mysql - u root -p
or any other user I create @localhost

The following is what I have installed for users:

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO root@localhost IDENTIFIED BY '******'
WITH GRANT OPTION;

I repeated this process for other 'outside users' replacing
root@localhost with test@"%" + a password and [EMAIL PROTECTED] (my
workstation ip on the local net). But no user password combo will allow
me to login from my workstation.

The linux box is on 10.1.10.3/8

The my.cnf:

[mysqld]
datadir=var/lib.mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/var/lib

[safe_mysql]
err-log=/var/log/mysql.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysql/mysql.pid

I remember messing with sendmail for months with this same problem until

I found out that on 7.3 RedHat disabled outside access by default. This
feels like the same thing.

PS As a side issue is there anyway to use for example 10.0.0.0/8 or
equivalent. It seems to only take exact addresses instead of address
ranges in the GRANT line.

Thanks in advance for any help

--
By-Tor.com