OK, it still doesn't boot windows so this is the situation:

I. My system
/dev/hda3 WinXP active partition
/dev/hda5 /boot
/dev/hda8 /

II. Both GRUB and LILO are installed on the sytem.

2.1 This is the GRUB.CONF file in /boot/grub/grub.conf

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd0,4)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda8
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda5
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,4)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
root (hd0,4)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/ hdg=ide-scsi
initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.img
title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
chainloader +1

2.2 As an emergency action I installed LILO on the MBR using the
following LILO.CONF (modified and then ran "lilo -Clilombr.conf"

boot=/dev/hda5
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
lba32
restricted
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-14
label=linux
root=/dev/hda8
append="hdg=ide-scsi root=LABEL=/"
read-only
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18-14.img

other=/dev/hda3
optional
label=WinXP

2.3 This is my /etc/fstab
LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
LABEL=/home /home ext3 defaults 1 2
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/hda3 /mnt/win vfat user,owner,exec,dev,suid,rw,noauto 0 0
/SWAP swap swap defaults 0

III. BOOT SEQUENCE

Currently my BIOS is setup for booting first from FLOPPY (normally not), then Hard Disk, then CDROM.

There is NO floppy on the floppy bay, so it will boot from the hard disk.

During boot I see now (after intalling LILO on the mBR):

- A Graphical LILO boot screen as I had in RH7.2. It shows both
Linux and WinXP as options (ok).

- I selected "WinXP" (which is on /dev/hda3) because that is what I want to boot. However,since GRUB screwed my MBR and installed itself there like a virus (see next step):

- Instead of my WinXP boot I now get the GRUB boot screen. Except THIS time instead of the grub prompt I actually get a
decent graphical GRUB boot screen. This GRUB screen shows me two options: Linux and WinXP.

- If I choose Linux it does boot Linux but that is not what i want now.

- If I choose Windows XP instead of actually booting Windows XP it executes the commands for this boot option and then goes back to the SAME GRUB boot screen menu!!!!

The commands associated with the GRUB Windows XP option are:
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
chainloader +1

That seems ok because my WinXP is in /dev/hda3 (hd0,2),right? but then why on earth I can't boot WinXP anymore?

From Linux I can see that my Windows XP partition has not been damaged, I
can see (from Linux) all my Windows directories and files).

And the big question is.... HOW can I boot Windows now? HOW can I restore my MBR record from Linux? I do not have a Windows XP boot disk, and I do not have a DOS boot disk with FDISK to do FDISK /MBR.

PLEASE any help is greatly appreciated, all my curriculum vitaes are in the Windows partition and I DESPERATELY need to send my CVs to find a job, can't afford not to be able to boot windows now.

Thanks in Advance,
Linux User in Troubles