Getting:

	Received disconnect from <IP>: 2: Too many authentication failures for root

from the remote sshd. This happens for any user I try,
even a newly created one.

Question:

	Any idea why the sshd on RH-8.0 would increment
	authctxt->failures before even prompting for a
	password?

History:

Using ssh for remote system management. I have been in
the system before (i.e., configs seem reasonable and
my *.pub file is available on the remote system).

System was moved offsite over the weekend for hardware
maintinence; took the maintainer a few tries to get the
SU password input at the console. He finally got it right,
did the maintinence, brought the machine back.

Now I access the system via ssh and get the nastygram
above. Generating a new user from scratch gives the same
message with the username changed.

man -k and searching RH's archives get me nothing on this;
nor has grep-ing the unziped manfiles for the message
itself. The message is definatly comming out of sshd:

	$ strings /usr/sbin/sshd | grep 'authentication failures';

	"Too many authentication failures for %.100s"

The message is defined as AUTH_FAIL_MSG in auth.h,
and used in auth[12].c as:

	if( authctxt->failures++ > AUTH_FAIL_MAX )
		packet_disconnect( AUTH_FAIL_MSG, authctxt->user );

                                           +1 773 252 1080