On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 20:46, j_post wrote:
> I'm getting really tired of Red Hat's RPM nonsense. I can't upgrade
> *anything* because rpm complains about dependencies.

RPM really does know what the programs need.

> I can understand that a
> new version of program 'xyz' may need library 'libabc-2.3.so', but rpm
> refuses to upgrade because program 'abc-1.2' depends on 'libabc-1.2.so' and
> can't seem to deal with 'libabc-2.3.so'. Why not???

You're not telling rpm to do the right thing.  If you tell rpm to
upgrade the 'libabc' package, it will fail because the older version is
still required.  Instead, tell rpm to install the new version:

rpm -ivh libabc-2.3.i386.rpm

Then, when it's installed, upgrade or install the application that you
were doing this work for:

rpm -Uvh 'xyz-4.5.i386.rpm'

> It's simple: if a program requires a given version of a library, it should be
> happy with any higher version of that library. Is that difficult to deal
> with? I don't think so.

That's because you don't understand how libraries work.  ;)

> Maybe it's time to move on to Debian--and sell my Red Hat stock.

Debian's dpkg will behave the same way.  If you asked for assistance
rather than pounding your head against the wall, you would avoid some
frustration.

Your other option would be to not use rpm, but one of its frontends.
up2date, Ximian Red Carpet and apt are all easier to use, and will do
smart things for you.